The creation of the port of Kyllini began before 1887, when the original part of the windward sail of about 250 meters to the northeast and almost perpendicular to the coast was constructed with natural stone blocks. During the years 1882 – 1892 the mule was further expanded by ~ 350 meters, of which ~ 100 meters by extension of the initial 250 meters perpendicular to the shore, and the remaining ~ 250 meters created the first section of the bend towards the coast. YES direction. This extension was made perpendicular to each other’s fronts with two tangential rows of artificial blocks. The artificial blocks used were 3,50 meters long and 1,50 meters high. Each artificial stone column consisted of three successive artificial blocks so that the body of the mole was 7 meters wide and 4.50 meters high. The above artificial boulders were mounted on a prism of natural Class A and B class blocks laid on the natural bottom up to a depth of – 4.50 meters. The construction of the pier was completed by concrete superstructure on the artificial blocks to the outside of which a guard wall was created up to the level of 2.50 meters.
Both in the original part of the stone blocks of the pier and mainly in the part subsequently made of artificial blocks, some serious damage was occasionally caused by their being affected by strong ripples, the most significant being in the year 1930.
At the root of the windmill and perpendicular to the internal platforms of service of the V / C and V / V ships, there was a pier of about 70 meters long and 25 meters wide with a SE direction. Under the protection of the above pier, a dock with two shallow coastal creeks and a rudimentary drainage mound was built towards the inner side, where the plethora of fishing and other small boats in the area took refuge. The inside of the pier, referred to in the preceding paragraph, to which fishing vessels attach, is made of a vertical front ramp made of artificial boulders mounted at a level of about – 4 meters. On the contrary, the exterior shelf platforms are completely immersed in concrete with a superstructure of concrete. In these two platforms a staircase was constructed so that at this lower altitude around the surrounding level area approximately + 1.50 meters they could approach and tie fishing boats. Finally, this small harbor of the then harbor was protected by the SE side with an irregular backing tongue with a few natural rocks that acted as a drainage mesh.
As far as the management of the port was concerned in 1938, a body called the Kyllini Harbor Fund was created, which was responsible for its development and administration until 2003.
In recent decades, work has been done to repair the damage that has occurred
they were made from the year 1930 – as mentioned above – and specifically beyond
Restoration of the displaced artificial tumors was considered necessary
shield the entire outer side of the mole with a large physicist prism
blocks with modern overlay of the bumper wall. The born armor
it was later reinforced with natural stone blocks by placing it on its outside
prism of natural stones, special artificial concrete blocks
“EIGHT” shape (8 pieces)
The southerly portion of the windshield, intended to create a fairly wide basin, was expanded by ~ 60 meters during the 1993 period, while in 1998 a further expansion of the boat was completed by another 85 meters. With the aforementioned extensions the total length of the SE limb to the SE has reached approximately 400 meters. Inside the eastbound limb of the windmill, a wide widening has been made alongside it and at ~ 80m, new high-depth platforms (- 8.50m) where passenger I / C ships approach.
In short, in the port of Killini has been built in recent years:
- Initially, in 1998, there was an extension of the platforms of the interior works perpendicular to the shoreline of the windshield approach to which the E / C – O / C vessels approach 85 meters in length. These platforms, 8.60 meters deep, were expanded in 1999 reaching 30 meters from the other side of the windlass, leaving the corner area unfinished as its final design was later completed with the work of cruise liner construction.
- Then, a straight line extending the 145-foot-long sail (the limb parallel to the beach) was made, then bending southward for the 15th last section of the 200-m length to the nozzle. With this expansion of the windmill, a wide port was created in which a maneuvering circle of vessels of 360 meters diameter can be recorded.
- The cruise liner depth of 10.60 meters, 250 meters in length, and starting at an angle of about 105 ° from the K / L platforms – follows a line parallel to the windward mooring, which is the new inland 50 meters from him. This expanded area was necessary to cope with all the traffic and service of passengers and vehicles that would result from the cruise liner crashing on that platform.
- Extension of the pier that existed by about 195 meters. Behind the expanding pier, which has a total length of about 265 meters, a new large fishing port was created. In addition to the extension, the existing pier was partially widened to reach a width of 30 meters. The expanding pier is intended to serve the arrivals of merchant ships calling for it and is therefore referred to as a ‘freight port’. With its total length of about 265 meters, it enabled two or even three large ships to sail simultaneously on its exterior. The 30-meter width allows for the handling and maneuverability of pickup trucks.
- To serve the lifting of the vessels for maintenance or repair, a sloping slope was constructed near the existing pier.
- Also three R / C – R / C access ramps were built, that are approximately 10 meters in length and width and are perpendicular to the shore of the windshield.
Today, the port of Kyllini is the largest port in the Ionian Sea and the 3rd in Greece.
It handles 1.5 million passengers and more than 450,000 vehicles annually.